7 de março de 2016

WRC: SÉBASTIEN OGIER AND JULIEN INGRASSIA SCORE BIG POINTS

In the land where they made their international debut 8 years ago, Sébastien Ogier and Julien Ingrassia strengthened their position as leader of the world championship in the 100th WRC rally of their career.


Following his successes in Monte Carlo and Sweden, the Volkswagen driver was first out on legs one and two of Rally Mexico, the first gravel event of the season. Given his role as road sweeper, he focused his attention on his immediate rivals who were following in his wake and enjoying similar conditions.

His efforts paid off as he settled into second place in the rankings on Friday, then stayed there for the duration while his team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala went for victory. On Sunday, the triple World Champion won the exceptionally long, 80-kilometre Guanajuato stage and followed that with another victory in the Power Stage. This performance gives him a total of 21 precious points for the championship.

"Julien and I have no regrets", said Sébastien Ogier. "We gave it everything from start to finish. Our tyre selections were a gamble to compensate for our road position and I was pushing it to the limit. All the same, we couldn't have hoped for any better than this second place, so it's a sound result."

"Despite everything it was a fine rally and I enjoyed driving here, especially on Sunday in the famous 80-kilometre Guanajuato stage. Maybe that's because we did it early in the morning before it became too hot, but anyway, I thought it would be more demanding than it actually was. It was quite a weekend for wildlife too as I came across a goat, two dogs and a herd of cows! Luckily, I managed to avoid them all...which will save me from grief at home, seeing as my wife is a passionate defender of animal welfare!"

"In the end this worked out very well for the championship; I only lost six points on Jari-Matti, who I still consider to be my biggest rival for the title. I still keep the equivalent of a two-victory lead over him and the gap has widened between me and my closest challenger. There's a good break now before the next round in a month and a half. We'll give it all we've got, as always!" 

Final result of Rally Mexico:
1. JM Latvala 4:25:57.4
2. S. OGIER +1:05.0
3. M. Østberg +5:36.4
4. D. Sordo +5:37.9
5. H. Paddon +6:22.6
6. O. Tänak +9:59.5
7. M. Prokop +12:58.5
8. L. Bertelli +14:09.6
9. T. Suninen +18:01.8
10. V. Gorban +32:37.3

World Championship:
1. S. OGIER: 77 points
2. M. Østberg: 42 points
3. A. Mikkelsen: 33 points

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário